BAOHSF was first established in 1994 and is attended by a wide range of organisations such as private, public (NHS, LA and HSE), voluntary and trade union representatives. Today the forum has over 1000 members within the Bradford District; mainly from small businesses and other voluntary sector organisations. In the past 10 years the forum has been awarded several national awards by Safety Groups UK; one being awarded by the House of Lords for best communication strategy and the second for best seminar. The latest award was presented in early 2010.
Alan Butler Award - presented in the House of Lords on 25th January 2010 - best communication strategy
(left to right Tony Smith, Lord McKenzie and Andrew Mawson)
Alan Butler Award - presented in the House of Lords on 27th January 2005 - best seminar
(Lord Braugham and Vaux CBE - 2nd from the left)
The forum works in partnership to improve occupational health and safety in the district in line with the government's long term Occupational Health Strategy for England, Scotland and Wales the Health, work and well-being - Caring for our future, a strategy for the health and well-being of working age people, (DWP, DoH and HSE 2005) and Dame Carol Blacks review Working for a healthier tomorrow (DWP).
The forum does this by (this list is not exhaustive):
- providing free seminars for local employers - particularly aimed at 'small' employers
- produce a free Well @ Work newsletter - click here for copies
- work in partnership with local and national companies and organisations to deliver the training that businesses require
- highlighting areas for improvement to employers across the district
The forum produced a local strategy for 2011 - 2014 Health Work and Well-being in the Bradford District which builds on the two previous strategies produced in 2003 - 2006 and 2006 - 2009. Copies can be accessed by clicking on the below link.
- 2011 - 2014 Health Work and Well-being in the Bradford District
- 2006 - 2009 Securing Health Together in the Bradford District
- 2003 - 2006 Securing Health Together in the Bradford District